"Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother." – Oprah Winfrey


"A house that is a home and has happy kids living in it is ALWAYS a mess. When they are gone, you can straighten and dust all you want, but the kids and the mess will be sorely missed." -John Easterling

Thursday, August 14, 2008

08/13/2008 Pre-School v. High School

We have done preschool now for three years. And we have done it well, not perfect, but well. How well does it have to be – you entrust your very young child to what you hope to be very loving and caring individuals, to love, nurture and teach your child basics: animals and sounds, colors, shapes, numbers, letters, days of week, months, etc. Even in the most perfect of environments there can be a weakness – a teacher who teaches your child “go big blue” instead of just the color “blue.” (Our team color is not blue.) Anyway, we are now in the throws of High school enrollment and it is a bit - well - not so basic.

Euitag started school this week. He brought home class information for his classes that appeared much like what I got on the first day of my classes at the University. It is a bit overwhelming – I can’t imagine being young and not understanding the language. He is tired from listening to another language all day and a bit intimidated I am sure. There are school rules, class rules, computer rules, dress codes, dress codes and more dress codes. There are choices – class choices – I mean he got to pick his schedule, except two classes – history and English. There are Club choices, sports, etc. (It may have something to do with smarts and abilities as well). I just remember having a few choices: what foreign language, and maybe one or two electives a year. There are forms to fill in and sign. Being a parent of a high schooler is a huge responsibility. Wow! But so far it is enjoyable.

We hope to take him to the State Fair this month. Euitag should get an interesting take on or state – cows, pigs, sheep, chicken, tobacco, dairy, hicks – oh, did I say hicks? Yea – that too, born and proud. AND last but not least – more of that good ole American food – the fattening kind – YUM YUM!

Lacie: Have I mentioned that in the past month or so that my daughter has not stopped talking? I just can’t imagine where that comes from. (Tee Hee) She talks from the minute she wakes up till she falls asleep. She talks when the toothbrush is in her mouth. She asks questions every second and mainly those that she knows the answer to. I have to say that she wears me out with her conversation but I try my hardest to remain patient and listen and chat with her. There will be a day down the road that I am going to wish she were talking my ear off.

Last night when on the potty Lacie told me she wanted her passie. She has NEVER had a pacifier. I was stunned – so, I said, I do not understand, what do you want? She said, “my passie.” And then she got frustrated because I did not understand her. She said, "you don't understand me" as she began to cry. I told her that I would not be able to understand her if she cried. Anyway - I repeated, "Passie?" She said NO! I said, could you explain it to me? What does passie mean? She responded, "I do not want you to see my bottom while I go potty." ohhhhhhhhhh (light bulb moment) Privacy – how did I miss that?

Paul is my sweet, rough and tumble boy. He had three baths on Sunday. One was because we went to the playground to play. He had no interest in swings, climbing and slides. He wanted to play in the mulch, carry around sticks and dig with his nails. (YES I was eeeeekkkkkk’ed) He threw mulch and got it in his hair. He is ALLL boy! AND he is a mama’s boy that is for sure. He is into mimicking right now – doing everything I do, or Lacie or daddy does. It is fun to watch him but also makes me realize that we must only do safe and proper things. He is starting to want to dress himself and put on shoes and socks.

I am sorry we do not have photos at this time. I will try and get some uploaded very soon.

Blessings!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Evan is going to be five in October and he still does not want to dress himself or put his shoes and socks on, so count your blessings!

Enjoy your crash course into the teenage years...

Mary