"Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother." – Oprah Winfrey


"A house that is a home and has happy kids living in it is ALWAYS a mess. When they are gone, you can straighten and dust all you want, but the kids and the mess will be sorely missed." -John Easterling

Sunday, May 4, 2008

05/02/2008 Bumps in the Night

A month ago this week we brought our little guy home – on 4/1. I can’t believe it has been a month. I am sure that in about a year I will be writing about how fast the time has gone. I look at Lacie and how big she is and how grown up she is – and I wonder, where did my baby go? I think I understand a little now why women get pregnant over again, or why families continue to want to adopt again.

Anyway, baby Paul (as he is most often called – or little buddy) is doing awesome. He is healthy, loves to eat just about anything. He loves fruit. He loves veggies and all proteins. He has issues with the taste or texture of scrambled eggs – but after putting it in his mouth over 10 times, he will begin to swallow it instead of spit it out.

He LOVES Lacie. His eyes light up when he sees her. This evening when she was napping, he patted her and tickled her and loved on her till she woke up. He wants to be big like her too. He thinks he is anyway. He is a gentle and sweet boy. His only “issue” (or maybe it is my “issue”) is that he wants me to be with him all the time OR him with me. Mommy would love if she could have more than 30 minutes of a nap without holding him. Mommy would love it to put on make up or do her hair. OR prepare a meal without him on my hip. I do back carry him some to get things done – but that hurts a little. Anyway – we are very blessed to have him.

When he gets upset he will throw himself back flat on the floor, from a sitting position. Sometimes he bumps his head but so far, he has survived his mild tantrums. Last night both Paul and Lacie fell asleep pretty quickly (YIPEE)! I went to bed early (1:00 a.m). At 6:15 a.m. he woke up fussing. I reached for him. He threw himself back. UGH! So, he sat up again and when I went to reach for him again, he threw himself back again. This time his head landed on the corner of the chest of drawers. I picked him up. He was crying and I told him I knew that it had to hurt. I rubbed his head and it felt wet. UGH – he was bleeding. This was our first real head injury with him. I got up, woke up daddy and went to wipe his head off. He did not have a big cut and only bled a few seconds. But boy, I was shaking. He did not even cry long. We gave him a bottle and he fell back to sleep. I knew what to watch for in case the head bump was worse than a bump. He has done fine today and has seemed happy. Poor little guy. This is one more area that I need to baby proof – put bumpers on all the corners of everything.

Mommy goes back to work on the 13th. We start the preschool daily visits this Monday. I feel sad about leaving my new baby at school. I pray hard that he will adjust fast and does not cry most the day. Our list of prayer concerns in our previous post is still current.

Here is a picture of our guy -check out the message on his t-shirt:

Love, The Blogsingers

No comments: